5 Tips on Reducing Stress
1. Breathe Deeply - Taking a few deep breaths will calm your fight or flight (sympathetic nervous system) system and bring your mind and body back into balance. The best thing to do is to mentally count to five as you breathe in and mentally count to five as you breathe out.
2. Full Body Relaxation - Practice full body relaxation once per day for at least 5 minutes. Start by laying down on your back in a comfortable position. Now close your eyes and scan your body for tensions and stress. Relax your jaw, your shoulders and continue to relax your whole body progressively.
3. Learn Yoga - has long been known to be a stress reliever. Find a "stress relief yoga class" or a "restorative yoga class" and take it at least once per week.
4. Practice awareness - when you are feeling the pressure take a moment to stop and notice what's going on all around you and remember you are not the only person in the world. You are not alone and this too shall pass. When you notice your shoulders are tense, relax them. Become more aware.
5. Journal - Get a journal and write in it. Blow off some steam and reflect and gain insight on what's happening in your life and how you can possibly change it for the better.